Satisfies SOL K.8 and 1.4
It's Brittany and Pam from S.O.L. Train Learning.
We want to share this awesome craftivity with you and then a little bit about our fun Math and English Language Arts bundle! It's over 100 pages of plant fun that will integrate perfectly with your Plants lesson. Stay with us and get our fun Plant Dance poem free!
We want to say a big thank you to our wonderful ELL teacher Jen Posgai for sharing this fun craft with us:)
2. Then you give them a stem to glue or ya'll can just have them cut one out themselves.
3. Give them a rectangular green piece of paper the width of the blue paper and show them how to cut it to make grass. remind them not to cut all the way to the top. Next they can curl the pieces with their fingers. This makes it look more like grass. Then they will glue the grass at the top of the brown paper.
4. Give your kiddos a folded piece of green paper to make the leaves. Show them how to cut on the fold to make 2 leaves.
5. We talked about the seed's coating and how it splits, and I showed them how to split a sunflower seed with their teeth so they could see the seed in the middle. They loved doing that! Then they glued the pieces at the bottom of the stem.
6. We gave the students a piece of yarn. They cut it into 3 pieces and glued for the roots.
This was all Day 1. You will need to let dry before moving on.
Day 2, let's begin!
7. We gave the kiddos a folded piece of yellow and orange paper and this petal pattern to trace. They traced it two times on the folded paper. Then cut them out. This gave each student 8 orange petals and 8 yellow ones.
8. Then they glued the petals in a pattern on the stem. We gave them a black circle to glue in the middle and sunflower seeds on the black circle.
Then we labeled the parts and the needs of the plants.
10. This was the final thing we added to our sunflower. We added a 3-D butterfly or bee. You just have your kiddos tape a pipe cleaner on the back of the butterfly or bee and poke it through the paper and tape it on the back. My students thought this was awesome!:)
Now to write about what we learned.
We are done! Yay!
For some Math and English Language Arts integration for your plant unit, check out this awesome bundle! Click HERE for the Plant Dance poem.
We are so excited to share this plant bundle of activities! Over 100 pages! Lots of ELA and Math print and go sheets, 2 scoot games, word sorts, and read around the room cards. We have included a recording of our Plant Song and our kiddos love it! It is a fun and upbeat song that teaches the plant cycle. There is a book with colored pages that has the words to it and a coloring book for your kiddos to color and follow right along with you. Click the image above to purchase.
Like this post?
Have a great day!